CalEITC4Me Helps More Working Families Determine Eligibility, Claim EITC Refunds in 2017
For Immediate Release
Contact: Marika Rose, email@example.com 916-601-9737
SACRAMENTO –CalEITC4me, the statewide education and outreach campaign to get the word out to more than 600,000 eligible low-income working Californians about the state’s earned income tax credit (CalEITC) program has reached even more eligible households in its second year through multi-lingual education and grassroots outreach, enhanced website tools, expanded social media and free tax preparation services.
Franchise Tax Board reports that as of February 25, the state had issued nearly $133 million of CalEITC claims, representing a 50% increase over the same time last year. “By increasing the capacity of organizations already working in communities – distributing multilingual materials, offering and connecting people to free tax preparation, and using our website tools including a heat map to reach eligible families – we continue to help create economic security for working families,” said Joseph N. Sanberg, Chair, CalEITC4me.
Use of the CalEITC4Me.org website and calculator increased significantly this tax season with already more than 60K visits to its online calculator. “The calculator is a true measure of action. It helps people understand if they are eligible and estimates their federal and state EITC cash back refunds,” said Josh Fryday. “This entry point is shared among families, co-workers and by community partners. It removes barriers to filing, and results in more eligible families claiming hard earned refunds – up to $6,000.”
This year, CalEITC4Me campaign reached more families through:
• Increased social media outreach including nearly 900,000 reached on Twitter
• Ethnic media partnerships and briefings
• Free Tax Prep Bus Tour
• Texting campaign to reach eligible families on-the-go on their mobile devices
• California Earned Income Tax (CalEITC) Awareness Week with Governor Brown
• Public Service Announcement videos produced by legislators and distributed in districts and social media
• Multilingual (English, Spanish, Mandarin) Calculator allowing individuals and partners to quickly assess eligibility, including the approximate amount of their potential refund.
• Free Tax Prep Finder connecting families to free tax preparation services in their neighborhoods, featuring approximately 1,400 VITA sites.
• CalEITC4Me Interactive Heat Map helping non-profits, government agencies and others identify key regions of eligible filers by ZIP code and other searchable criteria to better target efforts on the ground
CalEITC4Me is statewide outreach and education campaign to spread awareness of the state and federal Earned Income Tax Credit and put more money into the hands of hard-working Californians. CalEITC4ME is a one-stop, multilingual online hub of information and interactive resources. To learn more about CalEITC4Me, click here.